Wednesday, May 21, 2008

Harrison Ford is my Heartthrob

Indiana Jones comes out, here, today.. in english with Polish subtitles. But it's raining and freezing outside, and my stomach has been killing me all day long. I think maybe the constant diet of bread and potatoes has eaten away at my gastric lining...

We kind of haven't had a lot to do around the lab lately because all of the professors are off adventuring around Europe and making contacts until tomorrow. Except Damian, of course, who was left here to babysit us.

And I didn't take any pictures today, because it's gross outside, so I'll post one of my favorites from yesterday.



My dad and mom called me this evening on Skype. I'm so proud of my daddy for figuring out this internet thing, and he was full of enthusiasm about his recent Ebay purchases and his attempt at building a car online. He even told me a joke... "How do you tell which one is the polish woman at the wedding? She's the one with the braided armpits!"
And then I spoke with my momma. She sounded happy to talk to us (me and Court)... and when we told her we had moved rooms and that they had to separate us in the process, she said "Well how far apart are you? 10 doors?" To which we replied "Noooo TWELVE! And there are two elevators and a stairwell in between. AND the kitchen. It's lonely!" She just laughed. I'm glad she understands me so well at times.
My parents are so cute.

Anyone and everyone who has a computer needs to embark on an adventure with me. Go to www.skype.com and download the free software. Then make up a username and sign on. Go to contacts and "search for skype users." Type in Audrey Paulzak, and add me! You can talk to anyone all over the world for free, as long as your computer is equipped with a microphone. It's pretty amazing actually.
 



This is a picture of my new favorite candy bar. I discovered it one day at the vending machine at school (gasp, they actually have one very old one here)... and Courtney and I have been buying them at the Central and ANDRE and the canteen, and everywhere else we can find them. I'm bringing everyone I know (and like) from back home the present of a 3Bit when I return.

Dr Stanishevsky returned to the dorm this evening. I didn't think I would, but as soon as I heard his voice from outside the door, I realized how much I'd missed my surrogate family. He really came through for us and got very protective when creepy roommate was causing problems, and I jumped up to give him a hug when he walked into my room. AND we're all having lunch tomorrow before he leaves us indefinitely.
Speaking of the creepy roommate, I now have my own room. It's AMAZING! They did separate Courtney and I, as I mentioned earlier, and it's lonely to fall asleep at night without her across the 8x10 foot space, but I can't complain about my living quarters at all. I have my own fridge, shower, AND built-in closet, which is rare.. and Marius got my internet working today, so I'm in heaven. I even have a window sill to sit and journal on, and ponder deep, profound things. Hahaha...

So I leave you again. Sorry about the super choppy "blob" update, as my adorable daddy calls it. I'm talking to my best friend, Ash, on Skype and we're planning a European journey together. And when I say "we" I mean her. I'm too lazy to read train schedules and figure out the best way from Amsterdam to Berlin right now... it's 3:15 in the morning and I can't read Dutch anyway. Good night all... and just think, all the legal drugs I want await me in three weeks time... kidding, smoking weed would be a sure fire way to kill Courtney through a massive asthma attack.

To leave you with some of the fun we got to experience in lab this afternoon: 
Courtney goes "Do you think I should save the "Tribological properties of duplex big MAO/DLC coatings on Magnesium alloy using combined microarc oxidation and filtered cathodic arc deposition" article?" 

Come again? You know I don't speak Polish. =)

No comments: